Have you been craving Mexican food and are tired of plain old tacos or taco salad? Are you wishing you could make a huge batch of something for your large, hungry family or for a bunch of easy leftovers? This recipe right here does it all, baby! Welcome the Chicken Enchilada Casserole to your table tonight.
Just a side note, this isn’t some weird mash-up of Mexican cuisine and Italian. It is an enchilada dish that is layered like a lasagna.
First, you take about 2 lbs. of already cooked and shredded chicken and place it into a large skillet. If you want to know the way I usually cook my chicken that’s super easy, be sure to check out my post Moist, Delicious and Easy Chicken Breast. You don’t need any oil, you’re just going to warm it up and add some flavoring.
Then you are going to add the can of green chilies and 1/2 of the can of enchilada sauce and turn the heat to low.
Next, take a 15″ x 10″ glass baking dish. (Don’t have one that big? Order the one I have right here.) Spread a thin layer of non-fat refried beans all over the bottom.
Then place two low-carb tortillas flat, and side-by-side, into dish and spread the rest of the first can of non-fat refried beans on top of tortillas.
Next, transfer all the chicken mixture onto the beans and spread until even.
Then place two more tortillas on top of chicken mixture.
Next comes the second can of fat-free refried beans.
Then pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top of beans.
Next, sprinkle a thin layer of reduced fat Mexican cheese and bake @ 350 for about 25 min. or until hot and bubbly.
And last, but not least, notice my adorable new kitten watching every move I make and wishing I would invite him up for a taste!
For you fellow THMer’s, this is an ‘E’. This is great with some shredded lettuce, tomatoes and plain greek yogurt as a side. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as my family does!
Chicken Enchilada Lasagna
This Energizing Mexican dish is hearty and scrumptious and stores great for leftovers.
- 2 lbs. cooked chicken
- Canned green chilies
- Large can, no sugar added, enchilada sauce
- 4 low-carb tortillas
- 2 cans, non-fat refried beans
- Small amount of Shredded, reduced fat Mexican cheese
- Step 1 Mix cooked, shredded chicken with chiles and 1/2 the can of enchilada sauce and place on low heat.
- Step 2 Place a thin layer of refried beans on bottom of 15×10 in. glass baking dish. Place two tortillas flat on top of the layer of beans.
- Step 3 Spread the rest of the 1st can of beans on top of tortillas and spread the entire chicken mixture on top of bean layer.
- Step 4 Place two more tortillas onto chicken mixture and then spread the second can of beans onto chicken.
- Step 5 Pour the rest the can of enchilada sauce on top of beans and add a thin layer of reduced fat Mexican cheese to the top.
- Step 6 Bake @ 350 for 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.